17 August 2005

Conspiracy Theory, Part 0001H

I was thinking the other day about a story my dad told me. We had been driving through Michigan somewhere and a deer ran out in front of the car and we hit it at 70mph, the car was damaged but drivable. My father put in an insurance claim on the damage, and the insurance company raised his rates. My father kept track of how much the rate change cost him, and sure enough, when he had paid enough in higher rates to match the amount he claimed, amazingly, his rates went back down.

Then I thought, I wonder how long gas prices will stay up? The answer is obvious, fuel prices will stay up until the bigshots in the energy industry make all the money back they lost in the Enron scandal. Congratulations America, you paid for the Enron scandal once by having your retirement plans lose money, or for some people wiped out completely... and now, you are paying for it again, at the pump.

I'm not a big conspiracy theorist, nor do I believe most of them. I would have no problem believing this one. Someone smarter than me should do the math, figure out what the top 30 or so Enron investors lost, find out what they own in Energy interests now, and figure out how much time it will take for them to make back the money they lost, plus interest of course. I am fairly confident that within a few months of them getting their money back, fuel prices will go back down.

The upside is great, no messy bad accounting practices, no peons losing thier pensions, no faces on television or in court. just a bunch of suits who have the energy market cornered getting their money back, and THEN graciously and through hard work return us to a state of normal fuel costs. I wish I had thought of it, instead of paying for it.

2 comments:

Get A Life! said...

I think this is true. Not to mention the payoff of the Valdez incident!

I saw a museum exhibit about that...did you know they really used Dawn dishwashing soap to get the oil off the animals?

Can't wait til the Condoleeza springs a leak.

Unknown said...

getalife - yes I knew about the dishwashing soap. the insurance companies paid off the Valdez.

rock'n robin - maybe i should dance more?