03 April 2008

You Can't Write Fiction Like This

public domain
Jesse Woodson James - b:September 5, 1847 - d:April 3, 1882.

While I was looking at the Wikipedia front page today, I noticed on this date in 1882 Jesse James was shot and killed. I went and read the entire Wikipedia article on him (click here). I encourage you to read it.

As I have noted here before, I love legends, and Jesse James is that, his story makes for interesting reading, in fact riveting reading ... but much more so the reality of who he was and how his life went. What makes a man do what he does? What of the men involved with his death? Is it possible to comprehend what people will say about you and your life 125 years from now? I wonder what, if anything, anyone involved with the life and death of Jesse James would do differently knowing what their legacy would be. Would we?

1 comment:

Shera said...

Wow! This was very interesting indeed. Another musing on the picture as well as yours....(no disrespect on this) but are you guys related?

Shera-Shera