11 October 2012

Last week in August 2012

Welcome to the dog days of my year, everything will be running behind and behind and even more behind. Between all the late August birthdays, Labor Day, Cowtown, and my vacation, catching up can be difficult. This year we have the added change of new work duties that I am trying to adjust to, so here we are, September gone, October well underway, and I'm writing about late August. It's good to stay busy.

Monday was the day after on call, so I made myself go to bed early, but before I did, I played a little Diablo 3.

Tuesday during lunch I went and renewed my plates at the Sarpy Country Courthouse. I think if you took and added up all the time I've waited in line at the Sarpy County Courthouse for drivers license renewal and car taxes, it still wouldn't be as long as I waited the last time I renewed my drivers license in the city of Chicago.

After work I went and picked Kimee up and we went to dinner, where else, but Runza.

I've been stabbed right in the hamburger!

When I got home, I went for 2012 Run #34, 2.87 miles in 32:04, that's a slow pace of 11:09 per mile. It was also Zombies, Run #4.

Wednesday was a very homemakery kind of day. I ran errands then spent the evening cooking and making ice cream.

Thursday right after work was Fantasy Football draft number 1, the work league. I thought the draft went okay, there are only seven people in the work league, so we play points only. My big four were Matthew Stafford, Ray Rice, Greg Jennings, and Andre Johnson.

Immediately after draft number 1 was over, I was preparing for draft number 2, Kaleb's league. The location, our basement. We had more than just the people who were playing show up, and it was a good time. Computers, tablets, phones, trash talk and maybe a few drinks were all the rage. I had the last pick in this draft, but I thought it went really well. I got Greg Jennings and Andre Johnson again. My running back situation is a little dicier with Matt Forte. However I got Cam Newton and Jermichael Finley. I think this team will be just fine.

After the draft we played some board games. The first one is a game Tseyu picked out called King of Tokyo. It's a difficult to describe game other than to say it was really fun. Each person is a monster, and wants to control Tokyo by getting the most victory points or killing all the other monsters. I won the first game (as any regular reader knows, winning makes me like games better), by getting a couple of nice accessories and letting everyone else kill each other. We also played a game of Fluxx, or several.

I took Friday off of work, so I slept in a little, and then tried to make my goal of running five miles. I went over to the Keystone Trail and ran. It ended up being a scorcher, so I didn't feel too well after the first part of my run, so it was a lot of walk, run, walk, run ... 2012 run #34 was 5.01 miles in 1:02:11, that's 12:14 min / mile.

After I showered and napped, I had some errands to run, including grocery shopping. I decided I might not want to do that alone, so I thought I'd see who was available. Vivian was, and she was shopping for Matt's birthday party. We tooled around the Hy-Vee at an undisclosed location, and despite our antics we did not get thrown out, but we did laugh a lot.

I then went by the zoo for about a ten minute trip. I walked through the 'new' Aquarium, it didn't really look all that different from the old one...

...but there were crabs.

I came home and worked on housing for Cowtown Jambarama. That's a lot of work! Speaking of jitterbugs, later on, I went to the dance.

Hi there Uncle Eric!

Okay, enough attention already!

I'll take a birthday jam for four please.

This should make Maeg happy.

You can see the rest of my pictures of the dance here.

Saturday morning it was moving day for Maggie. It turned out that there wasn't as much to move as I thought there might be, we were promised tons of books, and it just didn't happen. I was a little concerned when I saw where Maggie & Cecily's new place was, but then I met the neighbor and their 70 pound dog. After we got her moved in, we went to eat at Papa Chris' ... if you have not heard the story, just be sure that Joe does not have my back.

In the late afternoon it was time for Matt's birthday party.
Yay, my camera is good for something.

Pretty in pink.

Pink is halfway from white to Husker Red, Heather can show Hannah the way.

Happy birthday daddy!

My pictures from the picnic are here, and all of Matt's birthday pictures can be found here.

After a nice picnic in Ralston, we reassembled over at the Johnson household for ice cream and adult beverages. We also played a game of New Yorker Cartoon game. The game is simple, see a New Yorker cartoon, and caption it, then a la Apples to Apples, one person reads all the captions and assigns the winners. Only one cartoon we did generated PG-13 content.

Sunday morning started with Mass at Saint Mary's in Omaha. After Mass I came home and soon after met up with Rachel, Kimee, and (Kimee's friend) Maggie to run in preparation for the Omaha Midnight Run. Run #35, or mostly run 3.11 miles in 37:28, at 12:02 pace. The girls had started late to get ready to run, so there was a lot of walking.

Later in the afternoon / evening, we had a party at our house, the 'Triforce Wizards Party', a.k.a. the combined birthday party for Troy, Maeg, and Ben. We played some games starting with Fluxx.

Maeg, Ben, and I then set up a game of Elder Signs: Omens. We played two games and won both of them. There was a game of Apples to Apples started, I played for a little while and then dropped out when a game of King of Tokyo started, I played a couple games of that, but didn't win either.

There was the usual dancing, conversing, and merrymaking that goes along with parties at our house. The final game of the night was Werewolf ... I think we can say that we may have played this one out, at least temporarily. We did reverse it and play a game of Infection instead. I can't find rules online, so I'm wondering if Scott made it up. The infected people pick one person to infect every night, and everyone else tries to eliminate the infected. It seems like the mechanics of that game can get abused fairly easily.

That was it for my week!

No comments: