03 March 2006

Stupid Infection, um make that Stupid Smart Infection

A few years ago, I read an interesting article in Scientific American (March 2003 issue) called "Bugs in the Brain". The author's assertation was that certain types of viruses 'know' more about human/mammalian physiology than we do as humans, despite our love of patting ourselves on the back with all of our knowledge. The example used was that of the rabies virus, which over a broad range of mammals, manages to overwhelm the brain, causing it infectee to bite another mammal thus passing on the virus to a new host. No medical degree needed, no college either, or any schooling. The only argument against it's brilliance is a good virus doesn't kill it's host, it just makes it miserable until it passes it along to another poor slob.

Speaking of which, this stupid infection I have sure knows how to interrupt my sleep cycle! Freaking thing! It's just lucky it's so small, and that it doesn't have a behind, cause I'd be kicking it if I could. Who wants this thing, cause I'll pass it along right now to get some sleep.

P.S. thanks for all the well wishes, I feel much better than I did the last few days!

1 comment:

Get A Life! said...

Yuck. Being sick is no fun. Why waste a perfectly good sick day? Hope surgery makes a difference.