03 July 2008

Making Lemonade

sspx1834.jpg
These intrepid adventurers laughed at the weather.

Last night was the the best lemonade I have had in years and years.

No one who was around me could have possibly missed that I was on call. To make my crankiness even more pronounced, it was over the first two weeks of Shakespeare on the Green and the College World Series. What's the point of living in Omaha if you can't attend either?

I knew that I was going to pretty much have one chance (maybe not so much) to go to Shakespeare on the Green, so I planned way ahead for this, setting up a Facebook event eight weeks in advance.

Stupid weather. Or more to the point stupid weather paranoia. I was really concerned about the weather all day, and sure enough in the mid afternoon it got bad, then better, and so on. I got there, found Keith already there, and we set up our little camp. The greenshow started on time, but as time for the play came to start, more and more of the VIP's were being shuffled off to places unknown. Then came word that show was canceled.

I feared this all day (several days), and here it was. I was not a happy camper, and wanted to just go home. But no one else moved, they wanted to regather somewhere else. I was the stick in the mud.

Then something interesting happened. About the thirtieth time Lisa said "let's unpack our food and eat", I agreed, and two minutes later we were all sitting at a lopsided picnic table (in the background of the above picture), my mood changed (and maybe others as well), and suddenly we were laughing, eating, talking, joking, and having a good time. Things got silly then, we started singing loudly, standing on tables, trying to perform plays out of our heads, quoting "Princess Bride", dancing on tables, getting yelled at by the stage crew, and taunting the remaining groups of people that we were going to be the last ones there. It all cumulated with the singing of "We Are The Champions" when last one packed up.

Here is what I said when I planned the event:
Some of my favorite moments in Omaha have come here..."
Guess what? I have another one to add to the list.

2 comments:

Janna said...

This sort of reminds me of our ABC group. It's a group of friends that gets together every week after band rehearsal.
Often I start out in an unhappy mood, but by the time the evening has finished, I feel SO much better.
We laugh and joke around and eat and have a good time, 99% of the time.

Thank goodness for friends.

Viv said...

What? It looks like I can leave a comment from my phone. That was a fun day.