30 July 2008

War Wound

First of all, roller skating was a blast, and I'd consider doing it again, just not anytime soon. I was skating just fine on rollerblades, but I didn't like the way they fit, so I decided to try quads, a.k.a. traditional roller skates.

It didn't go so well. I got about 30 feet, Mark saw me, gave me a tip on how to push off, and I fell shortly thereafter, rolling up on my wrist (the same way i broke it in 1992), and chipped off a piece of bone (circled below). Of course, I'm too stupid to know it's broke, so I finished my circle around the rink, fell again, and changed back to blades, and skated for about 45 more minutes.

xray - lorrie's office
It's just that little shadow there in the circle.

sspx1834.jpg
Purple was the best choice out of my doctors lame color choice.

It started to tighten up as the evening wore on, but even though I said right away that I broke it, I thought it was just a bad sprain. I went home slept fitfully for a few hours and went into work.

That was a bad idea, but I eventually went to the doctor at 1000. I was all casted up by noon, and back to work. It hurts right now because of the swelling and my fatigue.

No one is to blame, so don't beat yourself up.

It will be four weeks for the cast. Balboa anyone?

edit below-------------------------------------

Not so cast my friend

So the cast lasted a little over 12 hours.

Yesterday as time wore on the cast was less and less comfortable, and I began to get nauseous from the pain. I got home from work, stayed busy most of night, but then when I went to sleep, the troubles escalated. The pain and uncomfortablness got worse and worse. I thought I was losing my mind and wanted to cut my cast off ... now! I talked Venche and she calmed me down, then Jessie convinced me I wasn't crazy, and that my hand was swelling in the cast and cutting off circulation to my fingers.

So I hatched a plan, I went up to Walgreen's and got a wrap, then came home and cut off the cast myself using a dull hacksaw and some firecrackers. The majority of the pain went away as soon as the cast came off. I called into work, and finally got some sleep.

In the morning I got hold of my doctor, arranged for an appointment, and Micah came and carted me around. I ended up with a removable cast that leaves me with less of an ability to type than the solid one, but can be adjusted for swelling.

Hopefully this is the end of the drama.

2 comments:

Janna said...

You, uh....
You're kidding about the firecrackers, right?

.... Right?

Get A Life! said...

As a rollerblader that has used my face to stop a decent down Mt. Everest, I feel your pain!! Hope you are on the mend. At least you can look forward to Scrabulousagain! Sort of.