14 December 2009

Second week in December 2009

Monday began with another commute in the snow. I left about ten minutes earlier than normal, and made it to work on time. Monday also began my week of being on call. It is my turn about every ten weeks, so about five times a year. It can be a bear, but usually is not. I used to try to do things while I was on call, but I don't so much now.

The other odd thing about Monday was my roommates ... I didn't have any. I finally called Robin about 2230 to make sure they were okay. Robin answered and said they were going to stay at work for the next few days so they could be there for the snow.

Tuesday was "snowmageddon". The Omaha metro received about nine to eleven inches of snow. I was reminded again of how snow is different in the heartland than where I grew up. When I was a child, it was "common knowledge" that once the temperature dropped below 20°F it was "too cold to snow". I don't know if this has any scientific backing or not, but it sure seemed to hold true. I was first reminded this year of this when I was at my mother's house and saw this snow storm. Ten inches of wet, heavy snow at 30°F, it doesn't blow around. This snow was at 20°F and dropping. The consistency was very light, the kind that blows around in a 2 mph breeze. The only time I remember this kind of snow consistently as a kid was in the winter of 1978-1979.

100_0692.JPG - Me
Doesn't look like much from this angle.

The drive home wasn't too bad until I reached my apartment complex. For some reason, they didn't plow ... I think it was because I was bragging to someone about how well my apartment complex takes care of things. I got the car high-centered. It took me about 45 minutes to unstick the car and get it into the garage. I was quite sweaty by the end of it.

After everything had settled down and I had eaten, Ben, Maeg, and I continued our game of Arkham Horror via Google Wave. Naturally, my contribution to the game was interrupted by a work call, but when I got back, I found that we were in the finishing stages of beating Eihort. Yay!

Wednesday I woke and looked out the window and saw there had been no plowing by the garages in my apartment complex. So I called in a snow day, and then went back to sleep. When I woke up, the plowing had been done. I got up, shoveled out the front of the garage, and went to work. I ended up with six hours instead of eight, but I feel that the spirit of my streak of not missing a snow day while I have worked here is still intact.

In other news, I've fallen off of the exercise bandwagon. I need to get back on, and soon. It's not the end, but it's a set back for certain.

Thursday continued on call and cold weather, Friday was similar in nature (except for a haircut), as was most of Saturday. During the afternoon however, I took off with the on call laptop and visited VK and helped her decorate for Christmas. Amazingly enough, we were barely interrupted with work issues. Dinner was great, she's quite creative.

IMG_0421.JPG - Me
VK made all the decorating decisions on her own.

Sunday I witnessed something I hadn't seen all year, the Bears team I expected to see all year, well, at least for 1 1/2 quarters. Starting about halfway through the 2nd quarter, the offense scored two touchdowns on three drives of 13, six, and eight plays. The defense forced two fumbles and two punts. We looked sharp and energetic. Too bad it's been so inconsistent. I like coach Lovie Smith, but something has not been clicking, and watching the performance of the team all year, coaching seems to be the missing element.

That was my week, not very interesting at all.

1 comment:

Get A Life! said...

Beautiful snow picture!