02 August 2011

Fourth Week in July 2011

Monday it was finally the end of on call, and I was a little excited. I left work and came home and found my new dance shoes waiting for me. After a bit of a test out period, I went out and cut the lawn. The next big thing was a haircut. Then dinner from Chipotle, which I took over to Frank and Lindsay's and visited with Frank until Lindsay came home. The evening wrapped up with me watching Troy play XBox.

Tuesday at lunch I ran at lunch. I did a mile again, this time in 9:21, my plan is to run that one more time, and then go to 2k. After work I met a bunch of friends at the China Buffet / Mongolian Grill in Bellevue, after eating too much food that was too spicy, we went back home and played two big games of Telestrations, and one game of Qwirkle Cubes that I won on a lucky roll at the end of the game. I may have won in any case, but I rolled two dice and got two circles that helped me go out first and win.

Wednesday after work I made dinner and waited on the arrival of our house(cat) guest Xander. He arrived and went and hid under my bed ... sigh. Eventually we got him to hide behind the couch in the basement. After all the excitement settled down, I went for a surprising walk on the Papio Trail, I got almost 3 1/4 miles in under an hour. I felt it right away, but it got me over 200 miles for the year. It was a nice walk (in the dark), a little on the warm side, but not too buggy.

Thursday after work I went to my coworker Gary's retirement party. It was at the Starbuck's very close to my house. Gary plans on going off to Colorado to live with his brother. Gary is one of the people that I hope to model my faith after. He doesn't lecture, and he doesn't (seem to) falter, he just loves and shares his love ... I fear I will not see him again in this realm of existence.

100_2748

From there I headed up to Old Chicago to meet the people from Rome and Coke. I hadn't had dinner, so we sat around and chatted until around 11:30 or so, then I headed home. I took Friday off of work, but I had plans! First up was meeting Heather at the zoo at 1000. We toured the butterfly house and the aquarium before meeting up with Anne when she got off work at 1100.

100_2816
I'm sad that I haven't evolved yet.

100_2844
There is a really funny punch line to go with this picture, I just haven't thought it up yet.

100_2874
It's not easy to see, but if you look above Anne and Heather, you can see someone else.

The funniest part of the whole day didn't get a picture. Anne works with the apes at the zoo, and when we got over to the orangutangs, they saw her and came over to where she was standing, and when she moved, they moved right along with her and followed. You can see all my pictures from the day here.

Later in the afternoon, Merinda and I hung out by going to the grocery store together. While I was there, I ran into the aforementioned Gary who was stopping on there on his way out of town, so I got in one last goodbye. Friday evening I made my return to JNO, if you can count a two week absence as a return. I had my birthday jam and a nice time. After JNO several of us went out to Donut Stop. I love the donuts and the place, now that it is smoke free, but the crankiness factor is high with the owners. I'm sure running a place where you get a lot of drunks is not exactly fun.

Saturday was National Dance Day! I didn't do any dancing however. During the day I ran errands, then I took a nap to get ready for Kaleb's game night party. We played a lot of different games. We started out playing a dexterity game called Crokinole. I liked the game a lot. The closest thing I can think of to compare it to is shuffleboard, but on a round table using your fingers to flick. I won all three times I played, so maybe that will make you like a game. Next we went outside to play Badminton, but it was a little too hot for most people. We came in and I discovered that Kaleb had a bottle of Jagermeister, I think it's sipping liquor, so I did, everyone else looked at me like I was crazy, which is still a possibility. A little bit of ping pong was played until Kaleb said that Beth wanted to play Catan, so I joined her, Jared, and Maggie for a game of Settlers of Catan: Cities and Knights. I will take this opportunity to state that I had good position, and I did as well as I could considering the Jagermeister, but the rolls sucked ... nine must have been rolled 50% of the time. I got the longest road, and I was winning at 10 points, but I had nowhere to expand to, so I was kind of dead in the water.

I eventually weaseled Kaleb into finishing my game so I could go outside and help to invent The Greatest Game Ever. Okay, so maybe not the greatest game ever, but it was drinking badminton, and it was a good opportunity to channel my inner college kid. It got too dark to play, so some of the people came in transfer the rules to the ping pong table. I played some more Crokinole instead, and then I played another dexterity game called Pitch Car ... I won that one too.

We then headed down into the basement for 'Around the World' Ping Pong. I don't know what was up with me, but I won twice. It was really nice to spend time with friends, and get to know a couple people better. After this, we played some regular Ping Pong, then Rock Band, then back to Ping Pong, and then oh my gosh, it's 0330. How does that happen every time? And off to home and bed.

Sunday I (barely) woke up in time to meet friends at Saint Columbkille for Mass at noon. Amazingly, it was Shannon's week to give her FOCUS talk at church, and I just happen to be there. We gathered ourselves up and went to Q'Doba to eat, and then over to Joe's for the end of Mass Chaos party.

100_2890
Teri made a very tasty cake.

2011-07-31 Mass Chaos Party 5 of 10
I was very touched by a gift card, and very tickled by the personal advice given to me by the other Mass Chaos members in the Catholicism Answerbook. Photo credit: Frank

100_2902
Vesper sings her favorite show tunes.

If you'd like to see my pictures from this Mass Chaos event, you can find them here, you can also see Frank's pictures here and see why I have camera envy.

No comments: