23 February 2009

Want to get Entangled Baby?

I love physics, in particular quantum mechanics, well except for the math part. I like how things that make sense at our level of size break down completely at a certain level. If you know nothing about quantum mechanics click there for a primer, pay attention to 3.8, cause that's where we're going.

Now that you're all read up, a reputable physicist has designed an experiment in which humans will be used as the observers, hence as the observers, the human beings themselves will become entangled. Sweet. I'm not an expert in the field, but I figure these will be the two largest objects ever entangled experimentally, by many, many orders of magnitude.

Seriously though, forget the physics part of this experiment. The philosophical implications are mind-boggling, or maybe conscious-melding ... probably not, but still the coolness factor is off the charts.

Here is the slashdot article and the linked article from the physics arXiv blog

2 comments:

Sarah said...

It's really funny that I run into this the same day I hear about Simple Wikipedia.

Unknown said...

Yeah, we all get our news and entertainment from the same sources.