04 January 2010

New Years Week 2009/2010

Finally on Monday Night Football the Bears looked like the team I had thought they would be all year long. Even had the Bears not been involved, it was a very exciting game and worth staying up late to watch. I've thought all year long the Vikings were not quite as good as advertised. They are good, but put them up against an intelligent coach (who new Lovie Smith still qualified?) and they would lose ... and they did.

In a related football note, I won "Kaleb's" fantasy football league with a Monday night rally. I used the same draft strategy in both my leagues, got pretty much who I wanted (based on draft position) in both leagues, and one worked out, and the other didn't. I've now been in leagues for a total four years, three in one, one in the other, and I've got one third place finish and one first place finish. Since many of you skipped this paragraph, I'll reward those who didn't gloss it, I'll give you twenty five cents if you cleverly reference a giraffe in your comments. This offer only applies to the first ten comments from people I already know, one per person.

Tuesday was the end of the shoveling, at least for now. I headed over to VKs house after work and did the sidewalks, mailbox, and part of the street so Bente can park. Oh, I did get dinner for all my hard work ... peanut chicken. It almost had enough onions in it.

IMG_0438.JPG - Me

Wednesday I saw the doctor about the bump on my head (see above picture). Doctor Lorrie took two x-rays of my head (insert your allegedly funny line here). I personally am hoping for a horn like a narwhal, but will settle for a third eye that sees across the entire electromagnetic spectrum. She said we'd watch it to make sure it didn't get too weird.

Wednesday night I went over to Kaleb's and watched the Husker bowl game with about a dozen people. It went like I thought it would go, and a nice time was had by all, because there were no Arizona fans there.

Thursday I swapped shifts with Ed (thank you Ed). I got out of work a little early, and went home and napped. When I woke up, everything changed with my New Years Eve plans! If you've never heard me say this before, I don't particularly care to be out on the town two nights a year, New Years Eve and Saint Patrick's Day. These are amateur (drinker) nights, and if I have to share the road with drunks, I'd prefer people used to driving drunk, NOT THAT ANYONE SHOULD, EVER, rather than people who have no clue.

I had planned on going to the Jitterbugs New Years Eve party, because of my friends. However VK mentioned fireworks at Gene Leahy Mall downtown Omaha, and I like fireworks. So my plans changed to see the fireworks, then have a nice dinner, and be off the roads to avoid the crazies. We drove downtown to VK's work and parked, and ventured outside to position ourselves for the fireworks. According to the information VK had gathered from the official website, the best place to see the fireworks was in the Mall. So we, and about 10,000 other people were out staring at the Mall. We got too cold, so we went back to the car to wait until it started, planning to get out again. The fireworks show was choreographed to music on a local radio station, so we listened to the countdown, looked for the fireworks to be over the Mall, and were completely surprised to have them go off behind us in Heartland of America Park. I feel confident in saying we weren't the only ones who misunderstood. So we turned around and watched the fireworks and enjoyed the cold, cold weather.

After the show we went down to the Outback Steakhouse where VK's brother works. We had a nice dinner and ended our night early and safely.

IMG_0440.JPG - Me
I feel pretty old staying out only until 2130 on New Years Eve.

On New Years day, I decided to catch up on all the sleep I had missed in 2009, finally getting out of bed around 1600ish. I didn't even win the late riser award amongst my friends. At 1930 I met Troy, Merinda, Maeg, Frank, and Joe at Red Robin for dinner. Frank, Joe, and I sat and talked for quite a while after everyone else had left, dinner was fun, but next up was a game I liked with a twist I liked even better. Dungeons and Dragons drinking game. The general premise was this: if you rolled a d20, and you needed 15, but you only rolled 11, you could take four drinks to make up the difference. You also drank when you killed something, as did the DM/GM. There may have been other drinking rules, but I'm not sure what they were. It was played in a very hack and slash manner and was quite fun and loud. If you plan on playing this way, pre-make your characters.

Saturday was another sleep late day. When I finally got up I went and hung out with Troy in the afternoon. I ended up going home just after 1700, but since we were all going to the same party, for Ben R.'s graduation, they came by and picked me up around 2000 and we headed over there.

100_1006.JPG - Me
Lisa and Anna square off in the ancient ritual of youth and exuberance versus age and guile.

100_1031.JPG - Me
I didn't even catch the name of this cat, but I think it wouldn't even notice the weather.

IMG_0440.JPG - Me
Action like this can only be caught using a high speed camera like they use on Mythbusters.

Oddly enough, since Troy drove, I never noticed that I didn't have my keys until we got up to leave. It turned out well, the keys were in my basket at home.

Sunday I went to DJ's Dugout to watch the last football game of the year with Frank and Joe. The Bears won, it wasn't exactly a performance for the ages, but it certainly looked more like the team I expected at the beginning of the year (I said this twice in one post!), but hey, it was the Lions. We had a really good time, with me winning $21 (total) at Keno and the Bears winning too.

After the game I went home did some more of this never ending shoveling, and went to bed at a reasonable hour.

Happy New Year everyone.

3 comments:

Ben said...

The cat (female) is named "Spaz".

Troy said...

If I had a quarter for every time someone wanted me to whip out my giraffe... why, I'd still be broke and unemployed.

Kaleb said...

Wait, Troy, you charged me a whole dollar last time I asked to see your giraffe! I feel ripped off! ;-) Congrats again, Eric, for kicking arse in FF this year (and for using some of your winnings for pizza during football). Happy New Year!