28 October 2011

Second Week in October 2011

Monday didn't start so good. I woke up with a migraine, and went right back to sleep. I ended up working just a half day. After work I met the usual group at DJ's Dugout to watch the Bears play the Lions on Monday Night Football. So Monday didn't end so good either.

I know it's pretty popular to be on the Lions bandwagon, but the Bears pretty much held them in check except for two big plays, I wasn't impressed with them, and I sure wasn't impressed with the Bears either, the stat line sure makes it look like we could have won that game. Stop me if you've heard this one before, we just didn't look smart, giving up two big plays and penalties. I'm just shaking my head as I type this.

Tuesday I went to work, and after work I went for a walk with VK down at Ak-Sar-Ben village. I had dinner with VK, her roommate Amber, and one of Amber's coworkers at Crave at Midtown Crossing. It was a very nice place with good ambiance. My meal was competent, VK's was really good. Dessert was very good.

Does anyone besides me think perhaps nice restaurants should have a regular menu and a foodie menu. I think nice restaurants sometimes try to unnecessarily challenge people with something different. The best restaurant meal I have ever had was in a hole in the wall place in Chicago, it was a very simple chicken and tomotoes dish over rice that was just perfect. Every professional chef I have ever met wants the people they cook for to have a good experience. Obviously each diner has their own opinion on what a good experience is, but it starts with food that is adequately prepared. Unfortunately, the issue with my food was that I thought the pasta was undercooked ... I also thought the VK's veggies were overcooked.

I took Wednesday off of work. I did some chores, and made a new friend...

IMG_0547

On Wednesday night I went to RCIA. I was not confirmed in the Catholic Church, and I feel that it is something I should do. This will be one of my regular weekly items through the end of May.

Thursday after work I went to Theology on Tap. I saw some people I haven't seen in a while. The free food disappeared at an alarming rate. Fortunately, I was first in line. I felt bad for the speaker, Father Carl, who didn't get in line fast enough. I was going to offer to buy him a meal, but someone beat me to it.

Friday was Merinda's birthday! So at lunch I went and picked her up some gifts. After work I took a nap, overslept, and was running late for the dance (I was meeting some people there who had not gone before). I'm not very good with being late, and I'm not really good with being hungry either ... and I was both. I snapped at poor Cecily, who just wanted to help, then made Marilou go and get me something to eat. The rest of the dance was really fun. After the dance, about ten of us went out to Village Inn, I just giggled the whole time ... yep, I said giggled.

Saturday I hung out with VK and we ate dinner and went for a walk. Sunday morning I got up and went to church way out west with Beth. Immediately after church, I went directly - er, well, I got sorta lost due to construction - to the annual trip to Vala's Pumpkin Patch.

100_4359
Bente got picked for a cheerleader for the pig races.
Her pig stopped running and ate some vegetation.

100_4368
I think they had the pressure up too high, everyone complained about sore legs...

100_4379
...or sore backsides.

100_4402
Jenny backed right into me.

100_4407
I forget who thought up this shot, but it was a good idea.

100_4444
The corn maze (shouldn't it be called a maize maze?) had an outer space theme.

100_4404
I'm still not sure how Mark avoided this shot.

You can see all of my pictures from Vala's here. I'm sure you can find pictures of the event on Facebook.

Later in evening I met the usual group at DJ's Dugout for the another Bears game. This one had a much better result than the one on Monday. Go Bears!

No comments: