17 July 2012

Independence Day Week 2012

This may be my most scatterbrained post ever. Last week seems so long ago, and it's a blur with lots and lots of fireworks. If I forgot something I did with you, sorry!

Monday I came home after work and went to sleep because of ongoing not feeling well, and on Tuesday I went and saw my doctor about my headaches lately. When I got home (early) I napped, and then when it got dark, I watched fireworks from back deck, with a few photos.

IMG_6364 IMG_6323
IMG_6295 IMG_6316

Independence Day started out with a run, 2012 #21. 2.52 miles in 25:11, that's a 10:00/mile pace. I got to 2.25 miles and I was too hot, I made it to 2.5 miles and stopped. The funny part came when I ran by a guy washing his car and yelled "spray me!" He did, it didn't really help. The afternoon was quiet, nappy, and I made ice cream.

I went over to Anne's house for her Independence Day party, but I left before the party got wild. I then went over to CJs house and joined the party / food coma / explode everything there.

IMG_6415 IMG_6417
IMG_6517 IMG_6499
IMG_6513 IMG_6512
IMG_6515 IMG_6425

I didn't stay very late like in years past, I don't think national holidays should ever be in the middle of the week. If you'd like to see all of my pictures from Independence Day, you can see them here. Thursday was somehow lost in a blur of fireworks earlier in the week.

Friday after work, I went to Swine Dining and had dinner with Frank. Afterwards I went to the dance with camera in hand to take pictures of Cecily and Natalie's birthday jam(s).

IMG_6554 IMG_6537
IMG_6523 IMG_6594

I left a little earlier than usual. You can see all my pictures from Jitterbugs Night Out here.

Saturday afternoon I went and got Alvarado's ... okay, I went to the one on 90th, and evidently they have changed the name to something really similar, but have the same exact menu. I headed over to Kaleb's game night. and I ate it while watching the usual gaming suspects finish up a game of Eclipse, which I really want to play.

The first game was a kids game that obviously was too complicated for me. It is called Go Teddy Go, it is the lowest Board Game Geek rated game that I have played. I ended up losing the game for myself on a bad move, so ... no Candyland for me.

We then played a favorite of mine, 7 Wonders. I generally like games that have a multiple strategies that can work to win, and 7 Wonders is one of those games. I played a city, Halicarnassus, that I hadn't played before. Although I thought I played it pretty well I ended up coming in third place. First, second, and third were separated only by 3 points, so close, but no cigar.

The next game up was a suggestion of Tseyu, Kingsburg. I really liked this game a lot, though my strategy didn't quite work out. We'll see if it gets played again.

The next game was Cards Against Humanity. I think this might be suffering from a little overplay. I think I'm ready to go back to Telestrations.

The final game of the evening was two games of Werewolf. I was a villager in game one, and got lynched fairly early. In the second game I was the Witch. The second game ended a lot like the second game at the last game night, it came down to three unverifiable people, two of whom were on team Werewolf against four villagers ... a numbers game, which makes a villager win pretty definite.

There was also staying up very late playing ping pong. About 0230 I felt a twinge in my left achilles tendon and I just watched for the rest of the night. I got home before 0400.

Sunday I was up and over to my church (yes, I actually have a home parish) for Mass, and then stayed there for half the afternoon at our parish picnic. Joe, Frank, and I played a lot of (non-winning) pickles and Bingo (Anne won).

IMG_6654
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

IMG_6657
No chicken dinner for you.

You can see all my pictures from Saint Bernadette's Parish Festival, and really, they are dull, here.

I came home and there was a group of game players there playing Twilight Imperium. Why? I can't answer that question, but in the middle they took a break and went out to eat at Famous Dave's, of course their game never got finished because, you know, no one has ever finished a game of Twilight Imperium.

The rest of the evening was taken up with processing pictures.

Next week: Lots of games and a new roommate.

No comments: