05 February 2006

Surgery

My apologies to those of you I have not told personally.

I am having surgery on the 27th of this month. It's for sinus reconstruction. It's outpatient and supposed to take about two hours, and recovery is just short of forever at four to six weeks. I am not necessarily excited about the surgery, but I am excited about the prospect of no more nasal infections AND the possibility of greatly reduced migraines... a coworker of mine said she hasn't had a single migraine since she had the surgery five years ago.

I thought it wouldn't be so bad as to require surgery, maybe just the dry air of winter and my head being cold, but I got the c/t scan. Holy cow, the doctor pulled up the scan on his laptop, and let me tell you, I could have read the thing myself. My septum is deviated a good 1/2 to 3/4 inch to the left, all the bones on the inside of my nose are pushed way to the left too. It is amazing I can breathe through that nostril at all. I wish I had a copy of it to post, but who ever heard of a patient being able to access their own records.

To my wonderful friends who have already generously offered, yes, I will need help. I'll try to figure out when and where. I am certain I will not be able to dance for at least the first two weeks of recovery, probably too much of a chance of bleeding profusely from all the bouncing around.

1 comment:

Becky said...

wow. good luck with the surgery! hopefully you'll recover quickly.