21 May 2009

Irony

Much to the chagrin of many of my friends, I supported the Second Gulf War. Here is my entire rationale: at the time, Iraq was one of the worst human rights violators, routinely doing things like torturing children in front of their parents to keep them in line. I believe if you have the means to stop someone from torturing someone else, you do it. I was, and am willing to live with everything else that went with it.

This is my issue, I'm well aware of it. I'm sure it has a lot to do with my upbringing and knowing what it is like to be broken, and knowing no one can stop the abuse from continuing. I would like to have no one suffer, and I'd be willing to give my life to make it so ... like I said, my issue, my choice.

If the cost of my safety means that someone else must be tortured, I don't want it.

No comments: