27 October 2009

Stupid Bears and Other News

Just another week in Autumn. I don't understand everyone's crush on Autumn. It's a nice season, but probably #3 on my list. Summer, Spring, Fall, and Winter in that order. On to my week.

Monday was a normal work day nothing special. After work I came home and spent the evening in domesticated bliss, cooking and cleaning while watching Monday night football. After the game I finished up the pictures from the previous weekend.

Tuesday was one of those days when waking up is hard to do. I got up early to run an errand to the bank. I was out of the house and at the bank when I remembered that I forgot to close the garage door, so I went back home and closed it, left and then remembered I forgot my migraine medicine. So after leaving my house twenty minutes early, I ended up ten minutes late for work. That's not the model of efficiency.

After work I had planning making chili for VK. I had a couple more items to get before I met her, so I went to Aldi (across the street from my apartment) to pick up some meat and some cookies for dessert. I put my items on the check out conveyor belt, and the lady in front of me starts yapping about how good the stuff looked ... and then she picked up my food and starts examining it! What is the opposite of couth? Dinner turned out to be nice.

Later on Danny grabbed some lipstick and made himself up really pretty. I was teasing Tim about his son, and grabbed my camera hoping to get a good shot. I didn't when I stuck my head through the door to get the picture, Danny slammed the door right on my head ... good thing he's small.

I did get a couple good shots of Zeke instead.

100_9773.jpg - Me

Wednesday was movie night at Kaleb's, and I am increasingly tempted to go to one of these events. The movie was Cloverfield, and I ended up deciding not to go, mostly because I had heard so many people got motion sickness from seeing it. I thought maybe Kaleb's screen might be too big for me to watch it safely ... Maeg said it was making her sick ... good idea about not going.

I was rewarded for staying home though. Mythbusters! I watched a rerun episode about duct tape. Yes, duct tape and Mythbusters!

Thursday was one of those work days where I had the Midas touch, everything I worked on turned out to be golden. I was so helpful and useful it was impossible to be in a bad mood. Later on Maeg, Ben, and I played a game of Arkham Horror with the Kingport expansion. Before we started playing, Ben remarked that the expansions were created (in part) because some people thought the regular game was too easy. Naturally, we then went through one of the easiest games we've ever played.

I learned two things while playing:
1. Don't try to convince a person who has been drinking that they are switching back and forth from harmony to melody while singing.
2. In Ben's freezer, he keeps archived, freezer burned ice cubes.

Friday was pretty chilled out, both at work and afterwards. I went out to dinner at Red Robin with VK, Ben A. and Mark, who I had only seen before, not met. After dinner, VK and I bought Halloween costumes, and then hung out.

Saturday was the everything happening day. First off, Robin grabbed my camera and went off on a photo shoot for a family. Later on, I had that same job, only taking pictures of Tim, Robin, and Danny. I was 2/3 successful at any one time. Danny and Tim would be fine, but Robin would be looking in the other direction, or Robin and Tim would look nice, but Danny was squirming. I'm sure you get the idea.

100_9956.jpg - Me
This was how the day went. I don't remember getting that pipe being there at all.

It was very aggravating, and I think we discovered my camera doesn't handle 4Gb cards very well. However Robin was happy with a couple shots, so that's all that matters, happy customers!

After that, I walked around and took some more pictures of colorful trees.

100_9947.jpg - Me

100_9961.jpg - Me

100_9959.jpg - Me
So that's how trees get across rivers!

There are more of these types of pictures here.

Saturday afternoon I went to Hy-Vee and picked up my pumpkin. Then knowing that I would be driving people around in the evening, I did something kind of rare for me ... I cleaned my car, vacuumed, wiped down, and straightened up. The inside looks very nice, yay!

Saturday night was the traditional Halloween costume birthday party for Jenny. VK and I went as ketchup and mustard (aw) ... yes, I was ketchup :-) I thought Matt's costume was perfect. One good thing about our group of friends, no one tries to see how inappropriate they can be.

100_9982.jpg - Me
Jenny as Rainbow Bright did not win first place, because she was the judge and didn't give it to herself. Not unsurprisingly, this photo went right into my top ten all time views on Flickr.

IMG_2987.JPG - Matt
Hot dogs and hamburgers came running to us from miles around. Photo credit: Matt

IMG_3044.JPG - Matt
Here are the costume winners, first, second, and third left to right in order. Photo credit: Matt

101_0015.jpg - Me
VK (left), Merinda (middle two), and I (right) carved pumpkins. It was the first time I've ever used a 'pattern'.

101_0018.jpg - Me
Here is (nearly) everyone at the party.

Of course I took more pictures. Of course Matt took more pictures.

Sunday I got up and went down to Farrell's to meet up with Kaleb, C.J., Joe, and Frank to watch football. The early games were fun because it was all about my fantasy football teams. I won in both leagues. In my work league (12 teams) I am now 3 wins and 4 losses, and will probably have to go 4-1 the next five weeks just to make the playoffs. I have some hope, because my division is weak, and I have three of my remaining games against teams with losing records ... I only need one upset.

Now in Kaleb's league (10 teams), things are a little different. I am 7-0, then there is a six way tie for 2nd place at 4-3. Obviously, I have been a little bit lucky, or perhaps maybe my opponents have been a little unlucky, I don't have the highest or even second highest cumulative point total. Being lucky does not prevent me from talking smack about it, of course.

So in a non-fun football story. The Bears. I understand that even good football teams lose badly sometimes, but I doesn't understand is looking unprepared and outsmarted. At least we're playing hard. You can also apply all that to the local college team. I was so disgusted by the Bears play I left at halftime and went home and watched no other games all day. Instead, I just worked on pictures.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I still insist that the harmony line in the chorus of that song goes between split and unison. :P

Unknown said...

It does.

But you, I mean the unnamed individual, was not singing one or the other. This person was singing harmony on the first part, and melody the rest of the way through.

Get A Life! said...

I LOVED the migratory trees - very funny about the river crossing. Forgive me, but could you explain the costume contest winners-what or who exactly were they supposed to be?

Unknown said...

Okay Ms. Get-a-life, the winners are:
Rick - Willie Wonka
Matt - Lumbergh (Office Space)
Becky - Ms Frizzle (Magic School Bus)