09 February 2012

January - February Bridge Week 2012

I suddenly remembered this blog post from just a short two years ago when seemingly everyone around the Omaha metro was complaining about the cold. Not as many people are complaining about the warmth, including me. I went for a walks outside on consecutive days, January 31 and February 1.

Monday was not a very exciting day, especially since I stayed home sick, and barely left the house to go to the grocery store. I did get work on the Mass Chaos book, which I like, but it's going slower than I wanted. Tuesday night when I wanted to write my book, instead I got caught up in chatting, sheesh.

Wednesday I was finally over my migraine. Yay! It also seemed to be my day. First while walking outside I looked up to the overcast sky and saw an angel complete with halo around it's head.

Just Missed an Angel
The picture came about 12 seconds too late.

Then later in the day while looking at various memes around the interwebs, I came upon this curiosity. Naturally I could not resist the temptation to try this with poor Zeke, who put up with with the whole thing for about ten seconds, but it got me to laugh about 25 minutes straight when I saw this picture.

In-Bread Cat 3
Hi, my name is Zeke, and I'm a victim of inbreading.

On a more serious note, Wednesday was the four year anniversary of me putting down Cherokee. I know I'm not quite done with it, because I cried about it on Saturday.

Thursday the internet blew up, okay, just my Facebook feed, about this article about Kaleb in the Omaha World-Herald. Then people said I was in the paper, yes, my name and picture made it into the print edition. After work I went the latest version of Rome and Coke, this one about Lectio Divina. I really enjoyed the discussion, and hope to make this a point of reading in my life. I like the intention of reading with no timeframe goals, just to read with full understanding.

After the discussion, I headed over to Kaleb's to play a game of Agricola which I mistakenly thought that I played before. I had not, I was confusing it with Puerto Rico ... the reason that I confused the two will demonstrate what a geek I am. Agricola is the #2 game on boardgamegeek.com and Puerto Rico is the #3 game. Consequentially, I missed the explanation of the rules and basic strategy Kaleb gave Cecily before I got there ... guess who finished in last place? Part of it was my own fault, I started the game with one strategy, and then switched mid-game to another one. However the evening wasn't a total loss...

Cecily, Q-Bert, and Agricola 2
...I got a cute picture of Q-Bert sitting on Cecily.

There was one really bad part of the evening. I broke a tooth. I broke it in a unsalvagable way. I knew it right away too. It wasn't painful, but like I do whenever I do something bad to my teeth, I do it fabulously.

Friday during the day I set up a dentist appointment for Monday, finished my day at work, ate dinner with Beth and Teri at an impossibly packed Hy-Vee, and went to the regular dance. The grocery store was packed because Saturday was supposed to be Snowmeggedon 2012, and well, Omahans are people who pride themselves at being prepared, even if it is at the last minute. As for the dance, most of the time I like it better when the dance is crowded as opposed to sparse, but this time, the lack of a crowd seemed like a good thing.

Saturday Snowmegeddon came and left 9.1 inches of snow (curiously last February 4, we had 6.2 inches). The snowblower did not work because the snow was so wet and heavy, so I did the entire driveway with an old fashion shovel. I was pretty worn out after 2:15 minutes of shoveling, so I came in, showered, and took a nap. Later in the evening, she snow had stopped and the roads cleared. This seems like a good time for board games! I invited Maeg and Ben over, Maeg got there first, and with Troy we played one game of Giza before Ben arrived. There was some feline entertainment as well.

Zeke vs. oranges 1
Zeke vs. oranges 2 Zeke vs. oranges 7
Zeke had a tough week with food.

After Ben got there, we set up for what we had hoped would be a difficult game of Arkham Horror with a couple expansions. We separately chose three investigators, and picked one ... i.e. no collaborating to get a balanced team. My character was a complete failure, I didn't close one gate, I didn't kill one monster ... I didn't even battle any monsters. I played Diana Stanley. Her special effects never came into play because I didn't battle anything, and the Silver Twilight Lodge membership ended up being useless in that my encounters there only had bad results. Regardless, we won the game before the ancient one awoke.

We then played the new game that Maeg brought, Elder Sign. Same publisher, same mythos, same background as Arkham Horror, but a smaller, quicker game. Almost as if Arkham Horror was suffering from feature creep, so they just did a rewrite of the whole world. I really liked the game. (I was disappointed on Sunday that I didn't get to play again)

Sunday I met Teri for Mass at Saint Columbkille, Father Kevin was the celebrant, yay, good to see him. We went out to Village Inn to eat, Teri's treat: thank you. I came home, took a very short nap, and headed over to Kaleb's to his Super Bowl party.

About the football game: I admit it, I thought it was going to be a blow out in the Patriots favor. I should have know when the experts were picking the Giants, and the Vegas had the spread in favor to the Patriots. I bet the sports bookies made a fortune with people plunking money down on the Pats. I generally think it's unfair to characterize a game as turning on one play, but I thought the combination of Wes Welker dropping a difficult pass, then a few plays later Mario Manningham making a spectacular one was the difference(s) in the game. I don't necessarily think Welker should have made the catch, but he could have, but I do think that Manningham had no business catching that ball and it brought to my mind the football cradled against the head catch that David Tyree made to help to decide the Super Bowl a few years back. I think the momentum shift from one team to the other with the combination of drop and catch made decided the game. I didn't believe the Giants would beat the Patriots then, and I didn't believe it this year either, maybe I'll think it through more carefully next time they face each other.

Looking back on the season, it was disappointing to me. I thought the Bears had everyone right where they wanted them when Jay Cutler broke his hand, and the rest of the season fell apart. As far as my predictions went, I had the Super Bowl winner wrong, I had New Orleans, but I had the loser correct, New England. Of the twelve playoff teams, I correctly picked six. Meh. I'll put away the sports stories until next fall ... except for some lame predictions about the NCAA Tournament, or if the Bulls or Blackhawks make their finals, I'll pretend like I know what I'm talking about.

The party itself was fun. We listened about Kaleb getting indirectly mentioned on Saturday Night Live, played some around the world ping pong, stopped and watched Madonna's half time show, more ping pong, watched the last few minutes of the game, then more ping pong, one game of Qwirkle Cubes, and finished the night out with Rock Band. Oh and did I mention? More food than you could shake a stick at?

One other thing happened at the party. After much discussion with friends, careful consideration, and a whole lot of perseverance by Maggie, I told her how I felt and we will be boyfriend / girlfriend. I am very happy to have the support and love of our mutual friends, and the love a smart, sweet woman. I am very blessed.

Next week: it's Facebook official.

No comments: