06 May 2006

Anonymity, or Oops v0002

Okay, so I'm on my 4th or 5th day with no phone. This is a struggle, but not for the obvious reasons.

Well, yes, part of it is for the obvious reasons, it is irritating to not have a phone. I hate just 'showing up' at someone's house unannounced, no matter how okay it is with them, there are always plans that can be coordinated, and people to worry about. I'd like to have a phone for that.

The other problem is the deeper problem. I like it. I can be such a loner, no matter how unhealthy it is for me mentally. There are times when I could just clam up, become a hermit, and sit in my house and disappear to the world. This appears to be one of them. I've actually been struggling with this for most of the year, but it has really come to a head now with no phone.

The way I have been combating it is with the phone, or going out to lunch with people... and not all that well. Kevin has been a real godsend, because I am forced to interact with someone with decent mental capacity.

So, what is the problem with this? Many people live productive lives as 'hermits', interacting with society only when they need to.

The conflict, which should be obvious to anyone who has seen me dance, talk in crowd, or just generally interact with people, is that being a hermit is a minor part of my personality, a large minority perhaps, but still I love being around people... and it could easily be a learned behavior, not an inherent one.

So that's what is up inside my head.

2 comments:

Viv said...

You can stop by my place unannounced. I think it would be incredably frustrating to not have phone but I can sincerly relate to what you're talking about.

Schmendrick said...

I dunno... I'm a fairly social person, but I didn't always think so. My friends and family have always seen me as someone who thrives on social contact, but I considered myself an introvert/loner/hermit for a fair degree of my life. Most notably, in college my roommate and I became infamous for never leaving our rooms. We lived by the light of our CRTs, and we only left the room for classes and meals. We didn't interact a whole lot with each other, either. And we both liked it fine that way.

But, then, we were both fairly big "book people," and we both enjoyed sci-fi/fantasy as a whole. I think having a healthy imagination can go a long way toward [potentially unhealthy] isolation.