22 January 2008

How much longer will I be an addict?

For those who don't know, there is an add-on to Facebook called Scrabulous, which is basically Scrabble in playable on-line form. You can play with friends at a leisurely pace, making several moves a day, or one per week. Since I enjoy playing Scrabble, it should come as no surprise that I have a few games going, um, nine at the time I wrote this.

Unfortunately, like all fun behaviors, this one will come to an end soon. Hasbro, the maker of Scrabble has contacted Facebook about removing the unauthorized program.

See the C|Net article here

Facebook will relent under threat of legal action, although one might think that they will wait as long as they can, since, according to the article, it is the ninth most popular Facebook add-on.

Hasbro won't care about that, and probably won't attempt to buy Scrabulous' software and just make it authorized, which would set a bad precedent, they will just force Facebook to remove it, and we'll have to find a new time waster.

*sigh*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AAAHHH!!! what am i going to do if they get rid of Scrabulous?

Janna said...

Ohmygosh!!
Me too!
I didn't know you played!
We totally have to play at least one game before it's too late!

Just a sec, lemme see if I can find you on Facebook....

....Found you!
(unless there's someone else with your name who also lives in Omaha...)

Just submitted a friend request.

Get A Life! said...

I heard about this! Not a player, but I understand your anguish. And the need to get a life.