05 January 2006

National Championship Game

A few (too many) words about the National Championship Game:
I didn’t think it was very well officiated. Texas won by three, and they had a touchdown that the replay showed that it wasn’t, but evidently the replay equipment wasn’t working at that time.

I also thought it was a game won (or lost) by the coaching, I thought the Texas guy (Mack Brown) had his players more ready to play, and called a better game, I thought the USC guy (Pete Carroll) tried to be a little too fancy.

The announcers talked a lot about bad tackling, but the guy with the ball is supposed to make one guy miss.

I think the Texas quarterback (Vince Young) was fairly amazing, but he didn’t make you stop and watch the way the Michael Vick, or Charlie Ward, or especially Tommie Frazier did. (not a homer call) I think Tommie Frazier was the most exciting college player I ever saw, Barry Sanders was the most exciting pro I ever saw.

Good game, but it didn’t grab me (the casual fan) the way the Ohio State / Miami championship a few years ago. That was two contrasting styles and had defense. This was two outstanding offenses against two against average defenses. Thinking back I cannot think of a single drive that was STOPPED, just drives that the offenses made mistakes or failed to execute.

How about a playoff system ;-)

No comments: