22 November 2012

First Full Week in November 2012

Monday I did the unthinkable, I left my phone at home. I discovered this on the way to work, but it was too late to turn around and go get it. I was supposed to pick up Troy at the airport, so it wasn't a meaningless forget, but it turned out well. I got home, got a text to pick up Troy, and then after picking him up and dropping him off at home, I ran some errands.

I think it's kind of funny that within a few weeks of one another I did the three most excitingly subversive things that I have personal knowledge of. The first was a few weeks ago when I traveled across the Mackinac bridge. While this might not be a big deal to most, but for me, being that high over the water with nothing connecting you to the ground but a thin ribbon of steel and concrete is exhilarating to me.

Tuesday morning I was up early and in line to vote. Voting is the second most exciting thing that I think I do. The concept, of usurping the power of mighty, and making them answer to the citizenry is in itself an amazing proposition. Family is not a democracy, employment is not a democracy, but somehow, regardless of its implementation, the masses continue to exercise control over who is in and who is out. I waited about 25 minutes to vote, and since seven other people I know vote in the same location (six went, one was absentee), I heard that lines were long all day long. Good.

The first is participating in Mass, and specifically Communion, but that's a story for another time and place.

Wednesday after work, I basically played Borderlands 2 all night.

Thursday was moving day at work, I got my new cube set up. The new (rebuilt) office is very nice.

Thursday evening I went for 2012 run #47. 5k in 30:01, that's 9:35 min/mi. I'm still aiming for 50 runs this year. I am finding that, like the last few years, my November interest in exercise is definitely not high. I blame 'Human Hibernation Syndrome'. If this year is really like the last few years, I will be back at it before too long.

Friday evening I went to the dance and the Donut Stop, hohum - good times, good times.

Saturday I ran errands and then headed off to a mini-Pretzcon. I saw a bunch of people who I haven't seen in a while (since Pretzcon) and played games with them! Actually it was one game, Quarriors! with the Quarmageddon expansion pack. I have played this before, but it's been a while. I think it was much more enjoyable today than the last time I played, and I didn't even win.

From there I headed over to Maggie and Cecily's housewarming party. I haven't been taking my camera with me anywhere, but Matt was there, so he did the honors.

DSCF0030
Maggie is misquoted as saying "It's my party,
why are you the center of attention?" Photo credit: Matt

DSCF0033
Everybody loves the new and improved baby in a box! Photo credit: Matt

DSCF0038
My place in this neighborhood wasn't nearly as nice. Photo credit: Matt

The party broke up a little earlier then expected, which may have had something to do with my strange parking spot, or the storm that rolled through Omaha in the late evening.

Sunday morning I was off to church and picked Holy Ghost as a the place to go. Three surprises there, the church was nicer than I remember it, Lacey was there, and they had a turkey dinner in the basement, complete with pickles (the cards, not the food), and meat wheel. Joe won, Frank and I less so.

I came home and took multiple naps before heading over to DJs and Sunday Night Football to see the Bears get beaten by the Houston Texans on a rainy night in Chicago. It wasn't the only thing that got lost, I misplaced $17 and that didn't make me any happier with the Bears losing.

Next week: a busy Saturday!

No comments: