15 April 2007

Catching up

Catching up
Seriously, when it takes eleven days to write about the last day of the Balfest, it should be obvious that something happened within that time frame. My 'screw-off' time has been to a minimum, so let's see if I can figure out what the heck I've been doing for the last two weeks.

New phone
I got my MotoRazr v3m. It is obvious that despite the long association that Motorola had with Apple Computer, they learned nothing from the experience. The operating system is difficult to get around and is much more set up for boredom (read business) than creativity (read fun). The bluetooth feature is very nice however, once you get it working. Fortunately, I was not alone, Cornstalker got a MotoRazr at about the same time I did. Together we got it mostly figured out, read his side of the story here and here. I was not as unwitting as he claims.

The most fun I've had so far is going through my collection of pictures and assigning picture IDs to every phone number. Sprint has a reasonable website for pictures, so I created an online album with my photo ID's, all at 320x240, and regardless of what happens to the phone, I can get them there. I have my contact information backed up in about 10 million places. I got a sudoku game for it. Next is ringtones!

Oh, and of course, I got one of those silly bluetooth hands free devices so I can be a complete idiot walking around the store looking like I'm talking to myself.

Lenten sacrifice ... i.e. less soda pop
I decided this year for Lent I would give up some of the pop that I drink. It went very well, and I got myself into the habit of drinking less pop and more water. I am trying to continue that now. I am aiming for a one bottle of water for every one pop, I drink. It was kind of easy my first couple days of work, but the longer I went into the work week, the tougher it was. I'll keep working.

Sleep anyone?
Since my mid-twenties, every two or three years my body goes through this phase where good sleep gets to be more and more difficult. Usually it only lasts a couple months, but I get so run down from lack of good sleep, I can be a semi-zombie (not quite undead) for weeks on end. The last time this happened was late-November 2004, and I didn't handle it very well at all, I kept going, and predictably ended up with bad decision making, emotional numbness, and physical issues (pneumonia). Near the end of it, Doctor Laurie got me a prescription for Ambien. Amazingly, I started to get sufficient rest, and by the end of the year I was fine.

Well it's been sneaking up on me for the last month or so. I didn't notice it so much on my off weeks, but I wasn't sleeping so good during my work weeks. I probably should have seen it with my collapse on Saturday night of the Balfest, oops. Well the Monday night before this work week, I didn't get to sleep until after 0030 (and I have to be up at 0415). I can go one night and be fine, but I came home Tuesday after work laid down by 1900, slept maybe 45 minutes, was back up and didn't get to sleep until after midnight. Wednesday was a zombie day. I talked to Doctor Laurie, got a prescription called in for Ambien. Wednesday night was good sleep, but not enough to make up for the bad sleep I had been having lately. Thursday better. Friday was the dance, so, not so much. Last night, Saturday was very good sleep. By the time I get my off days, I should be well rested.

Yard work
I am looking forward to getting a little yard work done during my off days. Clear out the gardens, maybe get some things planted. Get the lawn mower going. Manly yard stuff.

Hide your black cats
Yeah, well I'm not necessarily superstitious, but last Friday, the 13th, yeah, it sucked ... it started bad, and didn't improve. Well except for several dances near the end of my dance night, particularly the one with Jenny Jitterbug to "Shake Your Tailfeather".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that was a fun dance, I'm glad I could make your day a little better! :)

Mae said...

Black cats are a part of our family over here. No bad luck to be found.